Pages

Sunday 23 August 2009

What a Week?



Here is your Monochrome Maniacs image.

A face only a mother could love?

Well you might have gathered that there has been no posts on Mononeil for a while now. I have a good reason. The image above is the reason. Here is the story :

I don't do People photography and I don't display images of my family on the web, but this time I have. This is my 6 year old son Craig with ice cream all over his face and minus his two front teeth. And that the problem, his missing front teeth.
While out playing with the other children a couple of weeks ago now, he was kicked in the face with the result of his front teeth coming loose. No problems we though, his baby teeth, just let them fall out normally. After a couple of days they were still hanging on and starting the cause him problems eating. So we went down to the local dental hospital. After a short operation he was minus his front teeth, the ability to talk, eat, and swallow.
We gave it a good few hours for the anesthetic effects to go but he was still the same and getting worse. The next day he was still the same not talking, swallowing and eating. We got him to the doctors and they did not understand what was wrong with him. Now I'm worried. Back into the car and drove to the hospital ( within the speed limits Mr Policeman, not ).

To cut a long story short, he had a reaction the the anesthetic. Also after the numbness, his brain did not understand what had happened in his mouth. I stayed in the hospital with him to try and teach him how to use his tongue again.
All is well now and I am playing catch up with my commercial work, blog and printing my images for the Peoples Photography Exhibition this coming weekend.

13 comments:

  1. How very disturbing for him - and you all. Glad he is mending.
    I have no front upper incisors just two fangs and don't wear the denture so I can honestly say he will adapt. But he will have shiny new ones soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh poor thing! That ice cream must've tasted amazing after all he's been through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention the image above was taken on our annual day trip over to Edinburgh Zoo and the Fringe Festival last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it well. Reactions to local anaesthetics are very rare, but can be dangerous if they happen.

    The boys looks happy here, though. Congratulations with both boy and picture!

    BTW I share your views about "posting" the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with you about family phoos on the web, but this is a great 'cheeky kid' shot. Sympathise with you about his reaction; my two are in their 30s, but you still react the same when they have problems.
    Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear everything is under control now.

    It is a gorgeous portrait of your son!
    All the best to you all :)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha, ha. A lovely funni picture. Give us a kiss?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless his heart! I'm so glad to hear that you found out what was wrong with Craig! It must have been terribly hard on everyone.

    Your photo is magnificent!
    You've capture a moment in time to be cherished forever. Someday, your son will look back at this and smile with a mouthful of teeth!

    Your photo and story trigger many emotions and for that I thank you!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and cute picture, but what a scary situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am so glad he is recovered now. i can understand how u feel cos i have a lively kid myself who definitely has a mind of his own...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice pic but scary story.. Good thing it all went well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary ... but clearly he is well and happy and enjoying his treat ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all your nice comments about my son.
    And you have gussed it, we can't shut him up now.

    ReplyDelete