Pages

Saturday 7 March 2009

Glencar Lake

Scenic Sunday

No photoshop tricks were used in the making of this image.
This is Glencar Lake, Co Leitrim and Co Sligo. The reason for this is the county boarder line splits the lake in two. Ours car was parked in the car park beside Glencar Waterfall which is in Co Letrim, but the view you see in the photo is of the Co Sligo part of the lake with King's Mountain. Do you understand, as clear as mud?
Does it matter, no. The image was taken around 2 in the afternoon, one sunny day. I had to use two ND grad filters to balance the exposure. But the effect of the sun and the rays is wonderful in this image. I don't usually shot into the sun, but I likes the clouds in the sky and was going to crop out the sun until I viewed the image on the computer screen when I got back home form this trip. One look and I knew it had to be left in. I still don't understand how the effect happened. Can anyone answer this question?

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture. That sunstar is not like any other I've seen. I have no clue how you did it either. What camera and lens are you using?

    Either way, the black and white landscapes on this blog are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this photo, well done.

    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful, interesting, but a bit unreal..//Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic image, glad you kept the sun in place. From my experience of night photography when closing down my lens from f11 to it's narrowest opening will produce this star affect. I would assume you used a narrow f-stop in this photo.

    I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the number elements in the lens shutter. the more rays you see in the photo equals the number of elements, thus a superior lens. My lens, (Canon EF-S 17-85 USM IS) produces only 6 rays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't answer your question, Neil, but I love your photograph!
    Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's an awesome shot just the way it is. I'd love to see it in color too, but it's fantastic in mono. Hi from California...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I checked the data and the camera was my Canon EOS 1D Mk3 and the lens was 17-40 F/4 L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This image took my breath away. Simply gorgeous. You are the best landscape photographer I have seen on a blog yet.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now sunflares are a particular speciality of mine I've covered on the blog. This though is a litlle enigma. It is so uniform. That's what's intriguing me the most. I was inclined to agree with Dusty's analogy but the uniformity is bugging me. Normally one or two rays lecomes very elongated. Low light could compress and force the rays to be bold an uniform possibly. Anyway it's superb especailly for one so natural

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your image is pure magic. It goes straight to my heart and makes me smile. we live on such a beautiful planet~

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful photo. i love the starburst effect of the sun's rays

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all - great shot!

    AS Dusty (above) mentioned, the effect is due to stopping down the lens beyond f11. It's a trick I've used to jazz up pictures of streetlight or stars - here's a shot I took with my 17-40mm lens (same as yours) "http://johnsmyth.ie/blog/2008/09/22/147/" - the same star effect is visible. In my case, I stopped down to f22.

    BR,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect sun... and those clouds - so many different forms and shapes - pitoresque.

    ReplyDelete