Pages

Wednesday 28 January 2009

Water & Rocks




When I was up in Donegal last May. My god it's nearly a year ago since I was up that direction. I will have to get back again some time this year. However this image don't show you the wonderful landscape of Donegal but of water and rocks form Melmore Point, Rosguill, Co Donegal.

The story behind this image was a weekend trip away with Navan Camera Club in Donegal with our base in Downies. A couple of the members had never gone out before sunrise to take photo's. So I made a couple get up and out of the hotel before 5:00 in the morning. We headed for Melmore Head for sunrise, but on this occasion the clouds didn't play ball so a sunrise was out of the question. We turned our attention to more closeup/specific aspects of the shoreline. The light was still very low which made for long shutter speeds. In the above image you can see that the water has turned to misty effect. I like the way you can make out the rock surface below the water line in the foreground and compare this to the surface above the water. Also the flow of the water from the top left down to the bottom right and back again with the movements of the waves.

I was glad in the end that we didn't get that magic sunrise. Why ? Sunrise, colour that's not me. Also the other photographers who came out that morning got the bug and came out the next morning. They were rewarded with a very nice sunrise. Now there's two more photographers who understand the "Magic Hour" of Light ( 30mins before and after sunrise/sunset).

4 comments:

  1. I love the magic hour. But I also enjoy photographing hours beyond this magic hour. The late nights make it difficult for early morning photoshoots. ;)

    This misty effect is grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my black and white photography I like to shot all day long as its the contrast between shadow and highlights(the above image is a good example). It's in the last year that I have been going out at this magic hour to shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so familiar! I like the milkiness of the foreground water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you make those black and white scenery photos - They don't seem to lack the color. I mean many scenery of black and white sometime miss the "livelihood" but not in your case. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete