Pages

Thursday 22 January 2009

Old Head Sunset



This is another place I visit regularly. It's Old Head, Westport, Co Mayo. I have been here at different times of the day and year and have always come away with at least one image. This time it's sunset over Clew Bay and Achill Island in the background. Shooting into the sun is very difficult and that's why I would normally wait until the sun drops down below the horizon or in this case behind the mountains. I have a good example of this and will post it to show the effects. Some like it, but I don't (that is sun flare).
Sunset is all about the colours in the sky and clouds. How many of you have gone out with the view to taking a black and white image at sunset? It can work if you play your cards right. This images works because of the contrast between the dark clouds and bright sky. Again the ND Grad filters were use as always to balance the sky with the foreground water and rocks.

3 comments:

  1. Neil, I don't understand how the ND filters work for this. Is there like an upper and lower half, with different densities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Snapshutter ND Grad filters have a graduated (ie darker at the top working down to clear at the bottom ). Here is a link that might explain it better:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for making me really proud whith your kind comment. Your pictures are so inspiring and a joy for the eyes. I`ll be back for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete