Pages

Friday 16 January 2009

The Climb



Something different for you today. This images is not form Salterstown, you may be glad to hear.
This is a view form the mounation called Croagh Patrick in Westport, Co Mayo.
I posted a View from Croagh Patrick a while back but never showed you what you had to climb up. Well here it is. This rocky surface is what the last couple of hundred meter is like and to think people go up this in their bear feet. That's the track up the lower slops (white line on the right) of the mountain.
I can across this image as I was going thru my images to pick 20 images for my Licentiateship Panel for the IPPA (Irish Professional Photographers Association). The judging is not until February but I have to do the selection now, arrange the panel, print and mount them which will take a good bit of my free time.
However, guess where I'm going in the morning again? The first correct answer will get a free pen.

3 comments:

  1. You make it appear as if taken on another planet. It doesn't look "earthy" at all! The precise work of light and the clean black and white conversion reminds me works of Ansel Adams.. http://www.anseladams.com/images/assets/main_anselAdamsPhotography.jpg
    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salterstown?

    I too can not imagine walking this barefoot. OK, I am curious I must ask. A scene like this it one was to use a gradiated neutral density filter. How would you accomplish this with the long steep angle of the hillside on the left that is quite a distance above the horizon line.

    For my Motion shot, I used a 1/15 shutter speed and f3.5 on my old Canon S2 IS camera while sitting on my deck at home. Sometimes photos of happenstance turn out quite well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your Kind comments Ilan.

    To answer your question Rob, about the use of the filters. It's very simple the ND Grad filter sits in a holder on the front of the lens. This holder can rotate 360 degrees around. So for this image I rotated the filter so that the angle matched the angle of the hillside on the left. Thus the sky was covered by the grad. Also I was lucky that the sun was on the right hand side of the image which needed the ND Filter effects the most. Hope you can follow my answer.

    ReplyDelete